A Hard Core Consultation

Categories: Community

Who knew a Clippers’ loss would warrant a virtual consult from is Holiness, the Dalai Lama? So usually, pro sports outcomes don’t get to me all that much…if I don’t include the latest Super Bowl and Game 6 of this year’s Western Conference Semi-Final, featuring the Houston Rockets and my own Los Angeles Clippers. And…

Family Appreciation Day

In one week, my family of co-workers and I received some bad news…twice. And maybe appreciation is a medicine for loss. When I meet a new patient, I always ask permission to see them in the context of family. And…I ALWAYS add, “In spite of the Von Bulow tag, 90% of my relatives are Sicilian…

Children’s Treasure

Kolleen

Children’s Hospital of LA is a local treasure and the spirit of the place gives us living breathing miracles like Avery. So about 12-years ago or so, a young lady (only 21) drove up from San Diego for an interview. We were looking for a new dental assistant and the choices, at the end of…

It’s Not Over Until…Whenever

Categories: Commentary, Community
soccer

It’s not over until…Whenever Yesterday, I caught up with the second half of the U.S. versus Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo at the World Cup. And it was just like the Spurs against Lebron…except that in basketball, you know when the freakin’ game is over! And it’s not like I really hate soccer. I’ve just never been…

A Breath Of Fresh Air

breath

A Breath of Fresh Air This week we’re gonna celebrate and I know we’ll all still be smiling after some tears dry. Dental Hygienist Extraordinaire Jennifer is on her way to becoming a mom; maternity leave starts Thursday. We are so happy for Jen and if you’ve been fortunate enough to cross her path, you’ll…

In Dentistry, It’s A Woman’s World

womens

So when I was a dental student back during Disco, my USC class of 120-students included TWO women. These days, the gender breakdown is more like 50:50. And having been fortunate enough to work almost exclusively with the smarter, more perceptive, better looking gender, I totally understand women make health care better. About a year…

More Than Assistance

assistance

More than Assistance So I’m smart enough to know I can be a slow study…make that a reeeally slow study. But last week, the old noodle’s RPM coulda been timed with a sun dial, or maybe even a calendar. That snowflake unique place between my two large sound receptacles was either doing some serious recovery…

Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen

Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen Don’t know about you, but I can’t think of too many solid reasons to visit Phoenix in August. I’ve just never been that intrigued by 120 degrees of separation from zero Fahrenheit. But for the local snakes, lizards, and vultures, it probably seems like New Year’s Eve at…

Not Just Another Day

So last week, something happened that was more typical than you might think. And it was more about a life than a tooth. This time around, the dentist wasn’t really a factor. The patient didn’t receive any anesthetic and wasn’t bothered by the sound of any power tools. The appointment didn’t last more than a…

Andy Rooney…On Rosemead Blvd., Part II

So it doesn’t seem possible Andy Rooney’s been gone two years in November; he died only about a month following his last 60 Minutes appearance (he was 92 years old and it was his 1,097th commentary.)  Rooney’s video essays had been a 60 Minutes staple since way back in 1978. I’ve always been a huge…